Carbon Monoxide Poisons Over 40 Midshipmen attending the Merchant Marine Academy
A spokeswoman for North Shore University Hospital told reporters that eight of the students, called Midshipmen, were treated at her facility after being brought there at 11 p.m. Sunday.
Some of the Midshipmen were released after treatment so the prognosis is good, however; delayed symptoms of brain injuries can occur from CO poisoning.
The other students, training to be officers in the merchant marine, were taken to other nearby medical facilities. Their conditions are unknown at this time.
Authorities suspect that a faulty water heater was responsible for the carbon monoxide leak according to the NY Times.
The National Merchant Marine Academy is located 20 miles east of New York City on Long Island in Kings Point, NY.